Interpersonal Agreements (IPA)
What is it?
The purpose of an IPA is to allow an individual to remain on UW payroll and benefits while providing service to a government agency. Academic employees and departments should work directly with the funding agency and the UW RSP office to draft IPA agreements. Typically, the funding agency has a standard IPA agreement that is sent to the department/PI and a WISPER record is created after the IPA agreement is received.
Creating a WISPER record for an IPA
Attach a copy of the IPA agreement (RSP will not sign yet, but it’s helpful to see it).
- Ensure all approvals/compliance items are in place.
- Obtain signature and date (#37 and #38) of the assigned employee.
- Attach IPA.
- Route record to division and send an approval for an advanced account.
- Once division approves, RSP will set up the advance account.
- After advance account setup, RSP will put the record into status 4 “Sent to Sponsor.”
- When the signed IPA is returned from the VA, upload a copy to the WISPER record.
- Notify the division that will request that RSP finalize the setup and sign the IPA agreement.
The same process essentially applies for any other advance account, but RSP will not sign the IPA agreement until its signed by the VA first. Since there are numerous IPAs pending at the VA, if a department had an IPA that should have started we are willing to set up the advance account to try to limit the amount of transfers that may be needed after the IPA is approved at the VA.
What is different for setup?
- The award type on the WISPER General tab should be IPA.
- The project type on the Projects tab should be GM_05 Employee Interchange Agreement.
- The F&A rate type on the Projects tab should be None-No F&A.
- The F&A base type on the Projects tab should be No F&A (Base A).
- The purpose in the SFS award module should be miscellaneous.
- Total dollar amount should always be direct costs
- As with all other sponsored projects, we only capture effort for individuals identified as key personnel on the award. Department personnel will make the determination and enter effort on the projects tab in WISPER only for key individuals.
- The PI on the WISPER record does not need a minimum 1 percent commitment unless that individual is identified as key.