In some cases, a project account may be set up before an award is fully finalized.
- Requests for advance accounts are initiated in RAMP by the Administrative Contact on the relevant RAMP record or by a department representative with edit rights on the record.
- Clearances must be approved and filled in, effort and COI must be up to date.
- Advance Account requests are reviewed by the SMPH Dean’s Office and approved requests are submitted to RSP for account setup.
- An overview of the advance account request/approval process is below; for complete instructions, see RSP’s RAMP – How to request Advance Accounts job aid.
Back to top
Advance account requests in RAMP
Advance accounts can only be requested in RAMP on Funding Proposal records that have already been submitted to the sponsor (in Pending Sponsor Review or later status). Before requesting an advance account, all applicable project/protocol details must be complete, and written confirmation of the proposal’s funding status and start date must be received from the sponsor.
- Log into RAMP using your NetID and password.
- Locate the funding proposal record for which you want to request an advance account, and from the Funding Proposal Workspace left side, select the Request Advance Account Activity.
- In the Request Advance Account window, provide a justification and/or comments that may assist the division in reviewing the request. Attach any documentation (such as sponsor approval notification that award is forthcoming) and provide a backup support account. Select OK to submit the request.
- The request moves to the responsible department/division (SMPH) for approval.
- If the request is approved, the requestor and RSP will receive notification that the request has been approved and is ready for setup. RSP will then initiate award setup.
- If the request is not approved, the requestor will receive an email notification.
Back to top
Clinical Trial Advanced Account Requests
This process applies only to Clinical Trial Agreements. Please follow these instructions if you would like an Account in Advance and your Funding Proposal is in Pending Sponsor Review status and related Agreement is in In Review or Signing status, and you are waiting for Human Subjects approval.
A change to the current workflow allows departments to request an account in advance of award earlier in the activation life cycle of the clinical trial. The department needs to conduct a risk assessment and determine when it is appropriate to request an account in advance. This determination will likely vary for established partners (i.e., those with whom we have successfully executed agreements in the past) vs. those who are completely new to the department and/or institution.
- Department submits a Request Advance Account to SMPH following the current steps described above. In the justification window/comments you must state:
- The department has assessed the risk and the department acknowledges their liability for the account if the project does not move forward.
- What work will be accomplished before the Human Subjects approval is in place.
- You must also send an Ancillary Review to the PI to attest to the following:
- As the Principal Investigator for this funding proposal, I attest that funds from this proposal will not be used to conduct human participant research until IRB approval from the IRB is received and have uploaded that approval notice into RAMP.
- Account is set up by RSP and is available for use as soon as possible (for charges such as IRB reviews, staff time associated with start-up activities, etc.).
***If IRB is already approved and agreement is fully executed, do not select Request Advance Award. The award would be ready for account setup instead and will be initiated by RSP. You can contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Back to top