UW Health provides media relations services for the UW School of Medicine and Public Health.
The media relations team includes science writers, media specialists and a video group all well-versed in helping the people and departments of the School of Medicine and Public Health tell their stories via the news media. Many are former journalists who understand the distinct needs and expectations of reporters.
Who do I contact?
If you have questions, want to discuss a story, or ask for the team’s help with communications, please call Tom Russell, director of communications, at (608) 828-6868, or email him at TRussell@uwhealth.org.
- Preparing faculty and staff for media interviews
- Contacting individual reporters with ideas for stories and arranging logistics for those stories
- Working in close coordination with University Communications, at UW-Madison
- General media training
- Advising on communication strategy to manage sensitive and controversial issues
- Working with marketing and communications colleagues to create integrated communications to highlight new initiatives, services or institutional messages
- Understanding HIPAA requirements for the protection of certain health information
- Providing crisis communications services during emergencies