The Dean’s Research Mentorship Award (RMA) was established in 2011 to honor individual University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health faculty members who have performed exceptional service outside of the classroom as research mentors for medical students.
Call For Nominations
Deadline to submit materials: February 27, 2023
Any faculty member who has demonstrated sustained excellence in mentoring medical(non-MSTP) students within their respective department, institute, or center, and has served at the UW SMPH for at least three years, is eligible for nomination. One award is made each year.
- Sustained dedication to research mentorship, as measured by commitment of time, resources, and number of mentored students.
- Consistent excellence and high quality of research mentoring, as assessed by students and colleagues.
- Demonstrated effectiveness of mentorship, as evident by research scholarship and productivity of mentored students.
Awardees may be nominated by individuals associated with the UW School of Medicine and Public Health. Letters of nomination should include a narrative describing the basis for selection and why the nominee is deserving of the award. Information can be drawn from a number of sources: student mentee testimonials and evaluations; peer-reviewed publications and presentations resulting from mentorship; evidence for the continuing success of mentored students in research endeavors; and other evidence demonstrating a positive impact on the development of medical student researchers. Materials needed to complete the nomination packet include:
- Nomination Cover Page
- Letters of support from:
- The nominator (required)
- Departmental chair (required)
- Student mentees (optional)
- A one-page, bulleted list summarizing the medical student research mentorship contributions of the nominee
- Nominee’s CV or biosketch
- Any other materials that showcase dedication and contributions to mentoring medical students
All nominations will be reviewed by members of the SMPH Student Research Committee who will make awardee recommendations to the Dean.
Given the caliber of our research mentors, every year we receive more nominations than we can award. Nominations from a previous year that were not awarded remain in the pool of applications that will be considered for the award the following year. Please send any new or updated information to support previous year’s nomination.
A cash award of $750 accompanied by a recognition plaque will be presented to the recipient at Medical Education Day.
Nomination materials should be sent as a single PDF to Pam Kling, MD, Chair, Student Research Committee, via email to email@example.com.
Questions may be directed to Vera Tsenkova, PhD, Director of Health Professional Student Research, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the RMA Nomination Cover Page (PDF)