Ombuds Services

For Our Faculty and Staff

An ombuds will listen to your concerns, clarify procedures, explore options and, if requested and appropriate, serve as an intermediary in attempting to resolve disputes. Ombuds work independently from University administrative units and discussions with ombuds are confidential. The Ombuds Office is not authorized to accept notice of claims against the University.

For employment questions and employee issues, please contact HR representatives in your respective departments or the HR professionals in the SMPH Dean’s Office.

For Our Students

Lynn Maki, who serves as Associate Dean for Student Academic Affairs in the School of Veterinary Medicine, has been appointed as Ombudsperson for students in the UW School of Medicine and Public Health. She will consult with faculty and staff in addressing student issues and concerns. She has worked for the university for more than 15 years in a variety of administrative roles.

Contact Ombuds

To initiate a consultation, call (608) 265-9992 and leave a message. Time and place to meet are flexible. The main offices are in 223-225 Lowell Hall; 2262 HSLC may also be available. More information can be found on the Campus Ombuds website.