Accessing CSAR form CSAR Best Practices Supporting Documentation Checking Request Status
Accessing the UW Madison CSAR Form
All SMPH requests for UW Health systems access must be submitted through the UW Madison Computer Systems Access Request (CSAR) form in UW Health’s ServiceNow system. Anyone with a UW Health user can submit a CSAR since there will be multiple levels of review to ensure the request is appropriate.
If the above link doesn’t work, follow these instructions to access the form:
- Log in to the ServiceNow Service Portal with your UW Health credentials.
- Type “Madison CSAR” into the search bar.
- Click on “UW Madison Computer Systems Access Request” in the search results. Note that there are also forms named “UW Health Computer Systems Access Request (CSAR)” and “UW Health Group Computer Access Request” – do not choose either of these options. Requests for SMPH affiliates or UW Health departmental hires through those forms will be cancelled.
CSAR Submission Best Practices
Follow these tips when submitting a CSAR for the most efficient review of your request.
- Review your CSARs before submitting. CSARs cannot be modified after they are submitted, so any errors will result in the CSAR being cancelled and you will need to submit a new CSAR. You would also need to submit an additional CSAR for any additional access not included in your initial CSAR – UW Health IS is not likely to notice additional requests in CSAR comments.
- CSARs should be submitted by someone who knows the specific access that the user will need and who is also familiar with UW Health systems. It is generally not recommended for SMPH HR employees to submit CSARs since in most cases they do not know the user’s computer system needs and they are not familiar with UW Health systems. Vague or inaccurate requests will likely result in questions during the review process or cancellations, which will delay the user getting the access they need.
- Submit the request two weeks before access is needed. As you’ll see below, there are multiple reviews that occur within SMPH before the request is routed to UW Health. UW Health commits to 5 business days to provision the requested access once they get the request, but you should allow additional time for the SMPH reviews and any questions that might arise during those steps.
- Search for the user’s name in the User field first. Even if the user is new to your department, they may already have a UW Health user from a previous job or relationship. If you select “New User” for Type of Access Request and the user already has a UW Health user, the CSAR will be cancelled and you will need to submit a new CSAR.
- If you are submitting a New User CSAR – meaning the user does not already have a UW Health user – you must enter the user’s legal name, even if that’s not the user’s ‘Name in Use’. UW Health IS needs to be able to find the person in their SMPH HR data feed; if the CSAR is submitted under the user’s ‘Name in Use’ name and the SMPH HR data feed contains the user’s legal name, UW Health IS will not be able to find the appropriate record to provision the requested access.
- Users within SMPH must have an affiliation to the department selected in User’s Department/Division/Center within the UW Madison Human Resources System (HRS). This could be an appointment, governance (joint/affiliate) relationship, or Person Of Interest (POI) relationship. If SMPH Central HR Operations can not find an affiliation to the selected SMPH department in HRS, they will need to contact you to clarify the person’s affiliation and possibly work with the SMPH HR Operations team to create an appropriate affiliation.
- For the User’s Department/Division/Center field, select the department where the user will be doing the work that requires access. Consider the following questions:
- What work is the user doing that requires the access you are requesting?
- For which department is the user doing this work?
|A user has an appointment in the Department of Surgery and they require access to a Department of Radiology resource hosted by UW Health for the work they do in their Surgery appointment.
|In this case, “SMPH Surgery” should be selected in User’s Department/Division/Center. If the Department of Radiology resource isn’t listed in the available options with SMPH Surgery selected, the access needed should be clearly described in the Additional Information field (refer to Supporting Documentation).
|A user has an appointment in the Department of Medical Physics but they are assisting with work within the Department of Human Oncology as a development opportunity. They need access to Department of Human Oncology resources hosted by UW Health for this extra work.
|In this case, “SMPH Human Oncology” should be selected in User’s Department/Division/Center. If the user doesn’t have an affiliation with the Department of Human Oncology in HRS, SMPH HR will need to consult with the requestor to clarify the work that the user is doing and then create an appropriate affiliation in HRS before the CSAR can move forward.
- Watch your email inbox for messages from “UWH ServiceNow” (firstname.lastname@example.org). Any issues or questions regarding your request will be entered as comments in the ticket and ServiceNow will automatically email you about those comments. The ServiceNow emails contain a link at the bottom to open your request directly in the ServiceNow Service Portal so you can reply. If you do not reply to the issue or question about your request within 30 days, your request will be cancelled due to inactivity and you will need to submit a new CSAR.
In some cases, additional information must be included with the CSAR. The additional documentation varies by role and is summarized in the following table.
|Required Supporting Documentation
- Anyone not paid by SMPH
- Undergraduate students (regardless of appointment/relationship)
- UW employees appointed outside of SMPH
|Attach Research Narrative to CSAR form*
- All roles when requested access is typed in manually rather than being selected from drop-down menu
|In Additional Information field of CSAR form, provide:
- Name and contact info for the person who recommended this access
- What you hope to accomplish with this request
|Any required additional information will be included with the specific access item. Be sure to read the access items fully.**
* Excluding requests for access to some Radiology resources hosted by UW Health
** Researchers who are also licensed RNs must obtain approval from the UW Health Nursing Education Department and RN Research Practice Committee prior to practicing as an RN in the UW Health clinical environment. Please refer to UW Health Policy 9.85 to access the application or the Research RN’s page for additional information about this process and contact RN RPC Chair Tammy Kiger at email@example.com for any questions about the Research RN onboarding process.
Checking Request Status
To check the status of your CSAR:
- Log in to the ServiceNow Service Portal.
- Click My Tickets in the top right corner.
- Click on the specific request from the list.
Note that by default you will only see Open tickets – if you don’t see the request in the list then it’s possible it has been closed; toggle the View menu to “Closed” and you will then see your closed tickets.
All activity and communication that happen for your request will be visible within the ticket under the Activity Stream section.
If you have questions or would like an update on an open request, enter a message in the Activity Stream. Anyone with a task assigned to them as part of your request will receive an email notification about your message. Because there are multiple steps that are addressed by different groups of people, it’s much more effective to enter a message in ServiceNow than to send direct emails.
You may not request additional access not included in the initial CSAR via comment – you must submit another CSAR with the additional access included.