The SPARC is charged with monitoring performance of all medical students and reviewing those medical students who fail to meet academic or professionalism standards. SPARC responsibilities include reviewing academic progress of students not meeting the minimal academic requirements; reviewing allegations of student violations of the Professional Behavior Code; determining remediation and/or sanctions in cases of unsatisfactory academic progress or unprofessional behavior; reviewing, revising, and ratifying academic policies (in conjunction with the EPCC and APC); approving individualized academic programs for medical students; reviewing leave of absence requests; approving promotion to the next academic year of all students who have satisfactorily completed a given year’s curricular requirements; and approving graduation of all students who have completed the requirements for the Doctor of Medicine degree. The committee is empowered to establish individualized learning plans and levy sanctions or other disciplinary actions.
Per the SPARC charter, the 12 standing voting members must hold faculty or academic staff appointments in the UWSMPH. Six members are elected and six members are appointed. Interim and replacement members may be appointed on an ad hoc basis by the UWSMPH dean or the dean’s designee. Appointed members are drawn from all departments, divisions and courses in SMPH with care taken to ensure a distribution of faculty and staff who teach and have knowledge of the basic science, population health, and clinical curricula. The chairperson is a voting member appointed by the UWSMPH dean. Faculty and staff including representatives of the Office of Student Services, Student Academic Support Services, MD Admissions, the Office of Multicultural Affairs, and the Office of Medical Education serve as ex-officio members.
Voting members’ terms of office are four years beginning at the time of appointment or election. The term of an appointed member may be renewed indefinitely by the UWSMPH dean or the dean’s designee.
- Lee Faucher, MD, SPARC Chair, Department of Surgery
- Sarah Ahrens, MD, Department of Medicine, 2023
- Paul Caskey, MD, Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, 2024
- Jamie Hess, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, 2021
- Timothy Juergens, MD, Department of Psychiatry, 2023
- Karen Krabbenhoft, PhD, Department of Anatomy, 2022
- Hau Le, MD, Department of Surgery, 2023
- Adam Nicholson, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, 2024
- Erick Tarula, MD, Department of Neurology, 2021
- Dan Uhlrich, PhD, Department of Neuroscience, 2022
- David Yang, MD, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, 2024
- Greg Rice, MD, Department of Pediatrics, 2025