Types of Agreements

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Sponsored Research Agreements

Agreements that cover research of mutual interest to a UW investigator and a company, and that the sponsoring company funds, in whole or in part.

Learn more about sponsored research agreements

Collaboration Agreements

Agreements that cover a research project in which both the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the company collaboratively conduct, each financially supporting their own work on the project.

Learn more about collaboration agreements

Material Transfer Agreements

Agreements that cover the transfer of research materials into or out of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, but involve no funding (included here are MTAs from other academic institutions as well as from industry).

Learn more about material transfer agreements

Fee for Service Agreements

Agreements that cover work consisting of the execution of a predefined or repetitive process, or the production of a product that meets predefined specifications. The activity is not expected to add to the body of fundamental knowledge in a given field, and is therefore not considered research in the academic sense.

Learn more about fee for service agreements

Confidentiality Agreements

Agreements that cover the transfer of confidential information between the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and industry.

Learn more about confidentiality agreements

Consulting Agreements

Agreements entered into by UW-Madison employees and industry to govern off-campus consulting. The university does not sign these agreements.

Learn more about consulting agreements

Clinical Trials

Clinical trials are biomedical or behavioral research studies in which the safety, pharmacokinetics or therapeutic effect of an intervention, or the effectiveness of a diagnostic procedure, is being evaluated.

Learn more about clinical trials agreements

Gifts from Industry

No-strings-attached funding provided by industry for research or educational purposes.

Small Business Innovation Research and Small Business Technology Transfer

Agreements with companies that govern UW’s involvement in SBIR and STTR grants awarded by the federal government to the company.

Learn more about SBIRs and STTRs

Other Agreements

A variety of other types of agreements may govern university-industry relationships, including:

  • Data use agreements
  • Software transfer agreements
  • Equipment evaluation agreements
  • Industry grant programs
  • Industry-sponsored fellowships
  • UW-Madison Industrial and Economic Development Research (I&EDR) grants
  • UW-Madison Robert Draper Technology Innovation Fund (TIF) grants

Contact Information

Kurt J. Zimmerman, MS
Office of Industry Engagement
(608) 262-0685

Andy Chen, JD
Contracts Specialist
(608) 265-8969

Richelle Martin, JD
(608) 890-4708
Office of Industrial Partnerships (OIP)