All are invited to attend the 2021 UW School of Medicine and Public Health Group on Women in Medicine and Science Symposium and first annual GWIMS Awards Ceremony.
Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2021 from 3-5 p.m. — virtual on Zoom
Event will include a keynote speaker, panel discussion, and awards presentation. Speakers will explore opportunities, obstacles, and strategies for success for women in medicine and science. All genders are welcome.
Keynote Speaker and Q&A — 3-4 p.m.
“Breaking Down Barriers” by Malú Tansey, PhD, Norman and Susan Fixel Professor of Neuroscience and Neurology at the University of Florida
Moderated by Marina Emborg, MD, PhD, professor of medical physics
Panel Discussion and Q&A — 4-4:55 p.m.
- Patricia Kiley, PhD, professor and chair of biomolecular chemistry
- Tamara Scerpella, MD, professor of orthopedics and rehabilitation
- Makeba Williams, MD, associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology
Moderator: Mary Ehlenbach, MD, associate professor of pediatrics
Announcement of 2021 GWIMS Award Winners — 4:55 p.m.
- Jasmine Zapata, MD, MPH, assistant professor of pediatrics
- Sara Damewood, MD, associate professor of emergency medicine
- Shannon Kenney, MD, professor of medicine and oncology
Advancing Women in Medicine & Science Award:
- Megan Moreno, MD, MSEd, MPH, professor of pediatrics
Excellence in Mentorship Award:
- Christie Bartels, MD, MS, associate professor of medicine