This collection of online resources was curated by the Building Community Communications Work Team. They are organized by areas of competency and skill that are important for building community in the working and learning environment.
Consider suggesting a resource so that we can continue to improve our collection.
- Emotional Intelligence Skills and Strategies – online course offered by UW–Madison Office of HR
- “Children learn empathy growing up, but can we train adults to have more of it?”– Research-based article with links to additional resources
- “Six Habits of Highly Empathic People” – Article based on examples, with a video towards the end to reinforce concepts
Communicating with Clarity and Compassion
- Building Trusting Working Relationships – online course offered by UW–Madison Office of HR
- Compassionate Directness – online course available through LinkedIn Learning
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Equity and Justice Resources and Courses for the Healthcare Team – resources recommended by or offered by the UW–Madison Interprofessional Continuing Education Partnership (ICEP)
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion General Resources guide – collection curated by Ebling Library for the Health Sciences
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Program at UW Health – Program description and continuing education resources for UW Health employees. (Information on UW Health U-Connect intranet; requires UW Health login or VPN to access)
- UW–Madison Division of Diversity, Equity & Educational Achievement (DDEEA) – Under the direction of the Deputy Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion & Chief Diversity Officer, the Division of Diversity, Equity & Educational Achievement (DDEEA) supports the mission of the University of Wisconsin–Madison as it works to create a diverse, inclusive and excellent learning and work environment for all students, faculty, staff, alumni and partners at the university. The DDEEA website publicizes university-wide events, initiatives, resources, and reports relating to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Navigating Change and Promoting Adaptability
- Leading in Difficult Times – resources offered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- Thriving in a Time of Change – online course offered by UW–Madison Office of HR
- Navigating changes: COVID-19 Resources
- 4 Ways to Boost Your Adaptability Skills
Building Connected and Respectful Teams
- Bystander Intervention: Stepping in with Care and Confidence – offered by Learning and Talent Development
- Why aren’t we more compassionate? Daniel Goleman on Emotional Intelligence – 10-minute video describing how our focus on “self” versus “others” impacts our capacity for expressing compassion
- CliftonStrengths Strengthsfinder – (fee-based resource) self-assess, then share strengths and gain deeper understanding of team dynamics and function, strength-gaps, and ongoing activities related to team-building
- Personal Resiliency & Accountability – inquire about SMPH-specific sessions.
Coaching and Mentoring
- Coaching and Developing Others – offered by UW–Madison Office of HR
- Fully Prepared to Lead: Coaching During Challenging Times – offered by UW–Madison Office of HR
- Conversations That Inspire: Coaching Learning, Leadership and Change – Certificate program delivered via Coursera