The following message is from Betsy Nugent, MSPH, CCRP, Chief Clinical Research Officer. This information applies to all studies interfaced from OnCore into Health Link with Active Billing.
UW Health and the School of Medicine and Public Health are currently working together to increase the capacity of our clinical research infrastructure. An integral part of this undertaking is automating more of the clinical research billing system which currently spans between Health Link, OnCore, and a number of manual processes. The future state of clinical research billing at UW Health will involve research users reviewing billing information within Health Link rather than the current state of a monthly spreadsheet export sent by UW Health Special Billing Services.
Order and encounter linking went live on April 12, 2021, and the second phase of this project goes live on September 1, 2021 with two-step billing review in Health Link.
Overview of Changes
- Research Billing Contact is a new required OnCore role for all studies with Active Billing at UW Health
- Research Two-Step Billing Review in Health Link will replace the current monthly spreadsheets used to review research charges
- Note: Routing of charges will no longer depend on question asked during Health Link scheduling (“Is this a research visit?”)
- Research Study Maintenance is a new activity that will allow research users to view information about their study in Health Link, including associated charges
- Research account statements will now be viewable in Health Link for research users
- Special scenarios for view only or those without access to Health Link and rapid workflows
Policy 2.13 Charges for Patients in Research Studies
This updated policy will be updated on UConnect soon and will be a great reference for research teams as we move forward with this new process. Link to policy on U-Connect (requires UW Health login or VPN to access)
Resources during go-live
For questions about Health Link functionality, please reach out to UWH IS Service Desk
- Non-urgent problems: ServiceNow
- Urgent issues: (608) 265-7777
- You cannot access the report “Patients Needing Research Billing Review (Study User)”
For questions about OnCore functionality, please reach out to OnCore Support
- ICTR OnCore Support: firstname.lastname@example.org or ICTR OnCore Customer Portal
- CCC OnCore Support Team: email@example.com or OnCore IT Help
- You added a Research Billing Contact and cannot wait until the following week for the information to be sent to Health Link
For general questions, please reach out to a Clinical Research Specialist, (firstname.lastname@example.org).