- As a regional distribution hub for the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, UW Health received its first doses for Dane County this morning. See photos of the vaccine’s eagerly awaited arrival and images of the first frontline health care worker vaccinations this afternoon. Bring tissues: there’s lots of hope contained in these vials. We honor all who have made this historic moment possible, including many at SMPH: reseachers contributing to worldwide understanding of SARS-CoV-2, clinical trials professionals who made vaccine trials possible at our institution, health care professionals treating patients with COVID-19, medical educators preparing the next generation of health professionals for pandemic and post-pandemic reality, and public health and bioethics experts who contributed to vaccine distribution guidelines.
- Related: last week, the State Disaster Medical Advisory Committee finalized Phase 1a Guidance for Vaccinating Entities to Prioritize COVID-19 Vaccine in Priority Populations.
- Looking for some creative inspiration? The Fall 2020 issue of arts journal Corpus Callosum is now published on Ebling Library’s Journal of the Arts website. Enjoy 29 new pieces of music, writings, and visual art from students, staff, and faculty of the UW–Madison health sciences community. Read more
- Reminder: The Wisconsin Medical Journal (WMJ) is seeking artwork to illustrate a special issue on the impact of race and racism on the health of people in Wisconsin. Works in the following media are invited: photography, digital design, or well-rendered photographs of painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics, printmaking, or textile/fiber art. The deadline is December 31. WMJ is a peer-reviewed, indexed journal owned jointly by SMPH and the Medical College of Wisconsin. Learn more
- Tito Izard, MD, will deliver a talk and Q&A to honor Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. The virtual event will occur on Friday, January 15, 2021 from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Dr. Izard is President & CEO of Milwaukee Health Services, Inc., and is a Milwaukee native, SMPH alumnus, and former faculty in the SMPH Department of Family Medicine and Community Health. He has 20 years of experience as an educator, instructor, and chief administrator of medical practices with emphases on urban health issues, clinical practice redesign, and reducing health disparities. More information and an event link will be announced soon.
- With the 2021 nominations for the UW–Madison Academic Staff Excellence Awards currently open, it’s an opportune time to honor 2020 winners who had their awards ceremony postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic including Barbara Lewis, RN, MS, Urology Simulation Education Program Director. Lewis was selected for the 2020 Chancellor’s Hilldale Award for Excellence in Teaching. Read more
- Save the date for the SMPH Faculty/Staff Winter Meeting on Monday, Jan. 25 starting at 4:30 p.m. Agenda and more information will be announced soon.
- View this week’s Quick Links, with valuable information for all personnel, as well as information for researchers and clinicians.
Building an Anti-Racist SMPH
- An on-demand replay of most sessions from the 2020 UW–Madison Diversity Forum is available. Access presentation materials, supporting resources, and videos here.
- View upcoming events relating to anti-racism topics at UW–Madison and beyond.
Please send kudos about your colleagues. Honor someone at go.wisc.edu/shoutout and we’ll share the stories. Submit your thoughts and we’ll share them in a future issue.
“Thank you to all my co-Otolaryngology residents. You make working here continually enjoyable amidst the difficult circumstances. Thank you for your attitudes and encouragement. You’re amazing!” — Bethany Powers, MD, Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Resident
Helping new hires feel welcome: Hiring and being hired while teams are remote is hard. It’s essential that a new employee feel properly welcomed so they are productive. Trello has several ideas, such as proper remote onboarding and establishing a buddy system.