- The Badgers Vote Coalition is requesting help from campus employees to support student voters. With supervisor approval, UW–Madison full-time, part-time and student employees can sign up to issue voter-compliant ID cards to students during early voting on campus and on election day. Shift lengths start at just one hour. Learn more
- Four of the 33 members on the recently created Governor’s Health Equity Council are from SMPH or UW Health. “We are incredibly excited to begin this new venture, and I’m thrilled that so many of my UW colleagues here have been trusted to take on this vital work for our state,” said Gina Green-Harris, MBA, director of Center for Community Engagement and Health Partnerships and chair of the committee. Read more
- Research highlight: Health insurance coverage for people with chronic diseases increased by 7 percentage points after key Affordable Care Act provisions were implemented in 2014, according to research led by Rebecca Myerson, PhD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Population Health Sciences.
- One week from today is the Hot Topics in Public Health Symposium on “Gun Violence Prevention as a Public Health Priority.” We will highlight each panelist throughout this week. Experts for the October 26 virtual event at 4-5 p.m. include Anthony B. Cooper, Sr., who was interviewed by WPR last week about his work to help formerly incarcerated people navigate life after prison, and Stephen Hargarten, MD, MPH, who founded the Comprehensive Injury Center at Medical College of Wisconsin.
- October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, and the Office of Cybersecurity has selected the theme for this year as “Do Your Part. #BeCyberSmart.” It encourages individuals and organizations to own their role in protecting their part of cyberspace, stressing personal accountability and the importance of taking proactive steps to enhance cybersecurity. Join the Office of Cybersecurity for a panel discussion on October 26, 2-3 p.m. titled “Learn How to Protect Your Cyberspace.”
- Don’t forget: this Friday, October 23 is the deadline for Annual Benefits Enrollment. Learn more.
- View this week’s Quick Links, including a special message for football fans.
Building an Anti-Racist SMPH
- The next webinar event offered by the SMPH student chapter of White Coats for Black Lives will be held this week on October 21 from 12-1 p.m. with Claudette Adegboro, MD, Assistant Professor (CHS) in the Department of Pediatrics. Register
- View upcoming events relating to anti-racism topics at UW–Madison and beyond.
Please send kudos about your colleagues. Honor someone at go.wisc.edu/shoutout and we’ll share the stories. Submit your thoughts and we’ll share them in a future issue.
Staying visible and valuable as a remote worker: Use these tips from a blog by Trello, a project management tool, to maintain social, strategic, and supportive visibility in the professional workplace.