Timely information to help build community within SMPH:
- Nancy Keller, PhD, professor of medical microbiology and immunology in SMPH and professor of bacteriology in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, has been selected to receive the Charles Thom Award, among the highest scientific awards given by the Society of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology. Keller is an authority on pathogenic fungi that produce highly toxic and carcinogenic mycotoxins.
- Jacques Galipeau, MD, associate dean for therapeutics development and professor of medicine, began his term as president-elect for the International Society of Cell Therapy on June 1, 2020.
- Ji Hyun (Jenny) Yim, doctoral student in the UW–Madison Mead Witter School of Music and conductor of the SMPH Medical Student Orchestra, has been selected for 1st place (community orchestra division) in 2019-20 orchestral conducting by national arts competition The American Prize. Yim also was awarded 2nd place in the university orchestra division for conducting the UW–Madison Symphony orchestra.
- Gail A. Robertson, PhD, professor of neuroscience, has been elected as president of the Biophysical Society. Her term as president-elect begins in February 2021 and a one-year term as President begins in February 2022.
- The UW Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education has released its 2nd Annual Report.
- The SMPH Committee on Academic Staff Issues, SMPH University Staff Issues Committee, and the SMPH Office of HR / Associate Dean Hope Broadus will present an SMPH All-Staff Town Hall on October 1, 10-11:30 a.m. (the link for this virtual meeting will be sent out by CASI shortly before the event). Submit your input and questions for the meeting by September 15.
- Don’t forget to take your furlough time: As a reminder, all furlough days must be taken by October 31, 2020. Please work with your supervisor to ensure remaining furlough days are scheduled and taken by that time. Final deadlines for submitting and approving furlough time are: October 5 (non-instructional staff paid monthly), November 5 (instructional staff and faculty who hold UW-Madison appointments; does not apply to faculty with dual SMPH and UW Health appointments) or November 7 (staff paid bi-weekly). These are final deadlines for the whole furlough period; employees and approvers should still adhere to biweekly and monthly reminders to report furlough time sent by HR.
- A collection of articles addressing race and racism in medical education has been released by the journal Academic Medicine.