- In light of the shooting by police of Jacob Blake, a Black man, in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and recent killing of protesters, SMPH leadership released a message today to all faculty, staff, and students acknowledging the pain many are facing and making a commitment to remain steadfast in our efforts to combat racism in society, medicine, and our own institution.
- Final reminder: The SMPH HR team has its second session about Smart Restart for supervisors and managers on Friday, August 28 from 1:00-2:00 p.m. Webex information is below. Note that the university’s Office of Human Resources is hosting similar sessions for supervisors but this one is SMPH-specific.
Session 2 of 2: Friday, Aug. 28, 1 p.m.
Meeting number: 120 023 1300
Password: 7N32MumZpBU (76326869 from phones)
To join by video system dial email@example.com
You can also dial 126.96.36.199 and enter your meeting number.
To join by phone dial +1-415-655-0001 and use access code 120 023 1300
- Shiva Bidar-Sielaff, the first Chief Diversity Officer for UW Health, has been named the organization’s first Vice President of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, CEO Alan Kaplan, MD, announced yesterday.
- Reminder: Call for nominations — 2020 University of Wisconsin-Madison Outstanding Women of Color Awards. A total of 1-2 nominations will be submitted by the Dean’s Office. To submit a name, please fill out this form by August 31.
- Please send kudos about your colleagues. Honor someone at go.wisc.edu/shoutout and we’ll share the stories. Visit this page to see a collection of shout-outs to date. Submit your thoughts and we’ll share them in a future issue.
“I wish to particularly thank the administrative and Biomedical Computing Group staff for the essentially seamless transition to remote work and their outstanding efforts to support research faculty, staff, and students since we all began working from home. They continue to go above and beyond expectations, which has made and continues to make a huge difference for our department, particularly in the context of the additional research collaborations related to SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19. – Sue Carlson, Director of Operations, Department of Biostatistics & Medical Informatics
- Improve your online meeting etiquette. Get tips on organizing and participating in virtual meetings from this article from Vast Conference.
Staying strong & supporting one another:
- Strategies for coping with anger: An article from The Washington Post highlights the heightened levels of anger currently present in the United States and talks with experts on ways to cope.