The following message was issued on May 29, 2020 by Hope Broadus, JD (Associate Dean for HR), Tracy M. Downs, MD (Associate Dean of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs), and Robert N. Golden, MD (Dean, School of Medicine and Public Health and Vice Chancellor for Medical Affairs).
Dear members of the SMPH community,
The killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police and the abhorrent acts of racism and violence that are occurring across the nation weigh heavily on our hearts. The impact is difficult to bear, both personally and professionally.
Our vision of eliminating health inequities fueled by racism is steadfast. It is the responsibility of each of us to embrace this work as leaders in medicine and public health — whether in clinical care, research, education, or administration — as well as by being engaged citizens within our own communities and beyond.
Caring for one another during this turbulent time is more important than ever. We recognize the personal toll and re-awakenings of past trauma that the news of these events brings to SMPH learners and colleagues of color. Please know that we are here to support you.
Acts of racism within our school are not condoned. If you witness or experience any racist behaviors, we strongly encourage you to report it to any of the following offices:
- SMPH Office of HR: Employment relations — firstname.lastname@example.org and Hope Broadus, JD, Associate Dean of HR — email@example.com
- SMPH Office of Multicultural Affairs: Tracy Downs, MD, Associate Dean of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Information about filing a bias, hate or student mistreatment report
- Ombuds office: https://ombuds.wisc.edu/ 608-265-9992
If you are struggling to process your emotions, experiencing anxiety, or feel the need to talk to someone, please consider using these resources:
- SilverCloud — mental health services for UW students, faculty, and staff
- UHS Mental Health Crisis Line for UW–Madison students
- LifeMatters — confidential counseling and personal resources for UW faculty and staff
- UW Health – resources for clinical staff and provider wellbeing
Additional campus resources are available from the Division of Diversity, Equity & Educational Achievement.
Let us all pledge to come together as a community in response to this horrible and divisive event.