- Celebrating the SMPH Class of 2020 during the pandemic required creative approaches, including online recognition ceremonies for degree programs. A livestream on Facebook of the MD Virtual Graduate Recognition Ceremony on Friday has reached more than 13,000 people. Other degree programs held private virtual celebrations, and a campus-wide virtual commencement ceremony was released on Saturday (Dean Golden’s formal presentation of degree candidates appears at video timestamp 22:43).
- Follow-up information from last Wednesday’s SMPH HR webinars about campus furlough policy and programs is available, including responses to submitted questions and a copy of the PowerPoint presentation. Please continue to refer to the campus-wide furlough website for additional FAQs.
- Dean Golden has been appointed to a COVID-related Task Force assembled by Wisconsin Supreme Court Chief Justice Pat Roggensack. The purpose of the task force is to recommend a framework of criteria through which Wisconsin Courts can continue proceedings in a safe manner to minimize the spread of COVID-19.
- An opinion article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel headlined “A prescription for a healthier Wisconsin in the COVID-19 era” was co-authored by Associate Dean of Public Health and Community Engagement Jonathan Temte, MD, PhD and Dean Robert N. Golden, MD.
- An executive order released today enacts changes that allow Wisconsin retail establishments to re-open for in-person shopping by to up to five customers at a time.
- Please send kudos about your colleagues. Honor someone at go.wisc.edu/shoutout and we’ll share the stories. Visit this page to see a collection of shout-outs to date. Stay tuned for more!
“I would like to thank all the Physical Plant personnel that have kept our campus running during these past weeks. A huge shout-out to the plumbers, electricians, carpenters, steam-fitters who do an amazing job day in and day out!” – Beth Bierman, Associate Student Services Coordinator, Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics
“I had a computer emergency this week and called the Department of Medicine’s Help Desk for advice. Frank Stanek asked me to bring in my laptop to be examined, and I expressed concern that I would not be able to work without it. Within hours he found an alternate way for me to get access to the software I needed, and by the end of the day, my laptop was as good as new. The Help Desk is always amazingly responsive, but Frank really went above and beyond to keep me productive on a difficult day.” – Erin Jonaitis, Associate Scientist, Department of Medicine and Wisconsin Alzheimer’s Institute
- Manager toolkit: The Office of Human Resources has a curated set of resources for managers and supervisors. New content includes Supervising Remotely and Leading Teams During Disruption.
Staying strong & supporting one another:
- Making your home workspace more ergonomic: See this CNBC article on “Cheap ways to make your work-from-home space more ergonomic and better for your back.” – Tip courtesy of SMPH Doctor of Physical Therapy Program